Saturday, July 25, 2020

Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake & My Thirty For 2012 Recipe Projection List


Happy New Year, everyone!  I'm non large on making New Year's resolutions, are you?  I don't actually similar to brand them because thence I experience similar a failure when I don't follow through ... which is commonly the case.  Instead, I similar to laid upwardly piffling projection goals for myself at the foremost of the novel yr ... things I'd similar to larn to ... but that I won't stress out close if I don't.

Like my 50 recipes, in addition to I exclusively got through close one-half of them. So, I decided to scale the listing dorsum for this year. Thirty should live on doable!

And approximate what?!  I've already done i of the recipes on the "30 for 2012" Project list! ... this rich-and-delicious Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake.  I'm thence proud of myself for already tackling i of my projection goals.

Chocolate flourless cake is i of those desserts that I've ever seen on eating theatre menus, but had never attempted myself.  I don't know why ... I simply hadn't.  So, I decided to seat it on "my list" this year. 

One of my other goals this yr is to comprise to a greater extent than whole grain baking into my line-up.  Mark in addition to I switched over to all whole grains inwards our pastas and other store-bought goods a few years ago, but I haven't actually made dandy strides inwards incorporating whole grains into my personal baking yet.  So, I've decided this is i of my projection goals for this yr ... to a greater extent than whole-grain baking ... not a resolution, heed yous (remember, I don't brand resolutions) ... simply a goal.  And since yous occupation finely set down nuts inwards this cake in addition to no flour, this cake counts as whole grain!

Start this cake yesteryear finely grinding roughly almonds inwards a nutrient processor.  Or, if yous are able to buy almond repast inwards your local store, occupation that.  I totally had roughly almond repast from Trader Joe's inwards my freezer in addition to completely forgot close it until later on I had already set down upwardly my almonds.  Oh well.
Finely set down almonds serve every bit the "flour" for this cake

Combine the set down almonds alongside melted semi-sweet chocolate (yum!), roughly sugar, egg yolks, sour cream, in addition to a few other things ...
Semi-sweet chocolate & other skilful stuff

... in addition to thence gently crease inwards roughly beaten egg whites. 

In larn the egg whites ... live on gentle

Bake it upwardly inwards a springform pan, in addition to you'll cease upwardly alongside a rich-and-delicious cake alongside a texture reminiscent of a light, fluffy brownie.  Mmm, mmm, it's good.  Do live on aware though, you'll "feel" the almond pieces when you're eating this. 
Yummy rich chocolate cake

The cake volition ascension upwardly quite a chip piece it's inwards the oven, but thence autumn drastically i time removed from the heat.  It'll live on exclusively close 1 or ii inches thick i time it falls.  It's supposed to live on similar that.
This is how thick the cake is i time it's fallen

Serve upwardly slices alongside a dusting of powdered sugar, a few fresh raspberries, in addition to a sprinkling of slivered almonds ... and, voila! ... you've got a beautiful dessert all dressed to impress.
An adorned slice
Then dig in!  I dug correct inwards during my photograph shoot ... couldn't await until I was all done staging the pictures.
Digging inwards during the photograph shoot
The photograph shoot piece didn't fifty-fifty arrive dorsum to the kitchen.
All gone!!

Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake
Source:  Adapted from Prevention Healthy Cooking: Lose Weight the Smart Low-Carb Way's Chocolate Hazelnut Flourless Cake
(Printable recipe)
Ingredients
ii T. butter
iii T. unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
1/2 c. almonds, set down (or a piffling chip less than a 1/2 loving cup of almond meal)
8 T. sugar, divided
iii oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 c. reduced-fat sour cream
ii egg yolks
1 T. amaretto
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
v egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 tsp. salt
Fresh raspberries, slivered almonds, in addition to powdered sugar for garnish


Directions
1.  Generously coat an 8" or 9" springform pan alongside close ii teaspoons of the butter in addition to dust alongside 1 tablespoon of the cocoa powder.  Do non tap out the excess cocoa pulverization - larn out it inwards the bottom of of the pan.

2.  In a nutrient processor, procedure the almonds alongside 1 tablespoon of the saccharide until real finely ground.  (If using almond meal, yous tin omit this step.  Use simply a piffling chip less than a 1/2 loving cup of the almond meal.)

3.  In a pocket-sized saucepan over real depression heat, or inwards the overstep of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in addition to remaining better, stirring occasionally, until smooth.  Remove from oestrus in addition to house the chocolate mixture inwards a large mixing bowl.  Add the almond mixture, sour cream, egg yolks, amaretto, vanilla, cinnamon, v tablespoons of sugar, in addition to the remaining ii tablespoons of cocoa powder.  Stir until good blended.

4.  In roughly other large mixing bowl, occupation an electrical mixer on high speed to trounce the egg whites in addition to tabular array salt until foamy.  Gradually add together the remaining ii tablespoons of sugar, beating until the egg whites brand rigid peaks when the beaters are lifted.

5.  Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten the chocolate batter.  Then, gently crease inwards the remaining egg whites.  Spoon into the prepared pan in addition to smoothen the top.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes.  The cake is done when it has risen, is dry out on the top, in addition to a toothpick inserted inwards the middle comes out alongside simply a few moist crumbs.  As the cake cools, it volition autumn to live on close 1" to 2" thick.

7.  Loosen the edges of the cake alongside a knife in addition to take away the springform pan sides.  Serve each piece alongside a dusting of powdered sugar, a few raspberries, in addition to a sprinkling of slivered almonds.

Enjoy!



Here's my "30 for 2012" Project list... thirty recipes I'd similar to brand yesteryear the cease of the year. 

Stay tuned for posts close the ones that plow out okay. And I'll update this listing on my "30 for 2012" Project tab alongside postal service links every bit I function through them.


1. Mango Salsa
2. Spinach Cheese Swirls
3. Chocolate Chip "Puffins" (Pumpkin muffins, larn it??)
4. Granola
5. Honey-Whole Wheat Biscuits
6. Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Waffles
7. Sourdough Bread (Oh my! This i scares me!!)
8. Caramel-Rum Squares
9. Coffee Thumbprint Cookies
10. Salted Cashew-Crunch Cookies
11. Barefoot Contessa Coconut Cupcakes
12. Neopolitan Cupcakes
13. Persimmon Cupcakes & Frosting (With wild persimmons from my mother-in-law's farm - yum.)
14. Baked Bananas alongside Rum Sauce
15. Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake
16. Coconut Pie
17. Fudge Pie alongside Peanut Butter Cookie Crust
18. Maple-Brown Sugar Pudding Cake
19. Shoo Fly Pie
20. Whole Wheat Gingerbread
21. Crab, Shrimp, & Wild Rice Casserole
22. Kiwifruit & Pineapple Marinated Chicken
23. Green Bean, Walnut, & Feta Cheese Salad
24. Mushroom Gouda Chowder
25. Stovetop Chicken Lasagna Soup
26. White Corn & Rosemary Soup
27. Dill Pickles (canned ... I've never canned before. I'm a piffling chip scared.)
28. Mashed Squash Casserole
29. Sauteed Cabbage
30. Sherried Fruit Bake