Saturday, July 25, 2020

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Amongst Brie, Spinach & Artichokes


It's Crazy Cooking Challenge time! The challenge presented for January yesteryear our hostess, Tina of Mom's Crazy Cooking, was  CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.  The rules?  Our soups must include chicken, our soups must include noodles, together with nosotros must choose constitute the recipe out at that spot somewhere inwards blogland.  That was it ... anything else goes.  And you lot in all probability know me yesteryear instantly ... I had to discovery something that was, well, precisely a bit different.  I love, love, honey to sweat recipes that choose a crazy-sounding flavor combination or precisely a trivial something inwards them you lot wouldn't unremarkably expect.

Enter ...Elizabeth of Pine Cone together with Acorns' Chicken Artichoke Brie Soup.    Ah hah!  I had constitute my 'little something different.'  Brie inwards chicken soup?  Oh, I was all over trying that.  And permit me precisely say, I'm sooooooo  glad I did.  This soup is thence richly creamy together with flavorful, together with beautiful, too, amongst the deep nighttime light-green of spinach running all through it.  Yum.

Another cracking thing amongst this recipe - it's pretty 'flexible' ... I mean value you lot could easily brand changes to the ingredients to arrange your personal sense of savor together with it withal travel precisely as wonderful as the original.  Here are the changes I made:
- Added noodles ... mini farfalle (bowties), to travel exact.  Hey, The Challenge did require me to utilisation noodles, right?
- Increased the amount of spinach
- Substituted whole milk for the half-&-half together with whipping cream (I precisely couldn't convey myself to utilisation 3 dissimilar kinds of milk inwards this ane unmarried soup!)
- Left a trivial fleck of the rind on my brie, instead of cutting it all completely off.  It broke my pump to cut all the wonderful brie-y-ness off.
- Added a trivial extra seasoning of common salt at the destination of the cooking process
- Oh, together with I changed the name.  Like Elizabeth suggested, I wanted a scream that encompassed all the yummy ingredients inwards this soup!

So ... let's run into how to whip upward this totally delicious, creamy dreaminess of a chicken noodle soup. 

Just as thence many totally tasty soups begin, outset yesteryear cooking upward some onion, celery, carrots, together with garlic inwards a fleck of butter.  Just soften them upward a trivial fleck together with permit them larn to know each another.
Oh .... this is how sooooooo many wonderfully tasty soups begin!
Add inwards some chicken broth ... simmer ... thence add together inwards some pocket-size pasta ... together with simmer again.  I chose to utilisation this mini farfalle, also called bowties.  I loved the itty-bitty size of the mini farfalle.  Isn't it cute?
Mini farfalle - it's thence cute!
Next, add together inwards some flour that you've shaken upward inwards a scandalise amongst some whole milk.  This starts the 'creamy' business office of this creamy dreaminess.  Pour it on inwards ...
Bring on the creamy!
... together with simmer it upward for a bit.  Now you're laid upward to add together inwards the light-green veggies - artichokes together with spinach.

"I'm laid upward for my dip inwards the hot tub!"
Stir the veggies inwards together with behold your beautiful soup!  Isn't it precisely gorgeous amongst all that deep nighttime spinachy light-green inwards it?  I mean value so!  Is it weird that I mean value nutrient tin give the axe travel gorgeous?  I promise not, 'cause I sure create mean value foods tin give the axe travel stunningly beautiful.
Beautiful soup
Oh, together with don't forget the Brie!  Stir this inwards at the destination together with larn it all melty together with creamy.
So-soft-and-squishy Brie
Now, let's beak nearly the Brie for a minute.  Two things.

Thing 1 - Does the Brie add together a flavor element?
In Elizabeth of Pine Cone together with Acorns' post, she pondered nearly whether the Brie added flavor to this soup, or if it merely made it dainty together with creamy.  Well, I had to explore that inquiry farther to discovery out.  Ya know, that's precisely what I similar to create ... I'm e'er total of "I wonders."  So, I scooped out some of the soup before I melted inwards the Brie and later position it to a head-to-head comparing amongst the Brie'd version.

The verdict??  Brie does add together a flavor factor, though it's indeed rattling mild.  Without doing a side-by-side, head-to-head sense of savor test, I mean value it would travel hard to discern the Brie flavor element.  But the Brie flavor is indeed there.  The Brie absolutely adds quite a bit of a creaminess factor.  While the non-Brie version is surely withal creamy, the Brie puts this soup over the top in price of creamy dreaminess.  That beingness said, if you're non a fan of Brie or precisely don't experience similar running to the shop to larn some Brie, residual assured that this soup is totally wonderful together with flavorful fifty-fifty without it.

Thing ii - To rind or non to rind? -  that is the question!
The master copy recipe instructs us to take away the rind from the Brie.  Well, as I mentioned before inwards this post, cutting off all that Brie-y-ness inwards the rind precisely broke my heart.  So, I cutting off some but also left some on.  I mean value the answer to this inquiry is a affair of personal preference.  The rind that I left on melted into the soup precisely similar the creamy inside, thence at that spot weren't whatsoever large ol' rind lumps.  I do mean value the rind gave fabulous flavor to the soup.  Next fourth dimension I brand this soup, I volition merely shave off precisely a tiny fleck of the rind together with larn out most of it intact.  Personally, I honey the flavor of Brie rind.  But, if you lot don't, cutting it off.

Serve this flavorful soup upward amongst a salad together with some biscuits or crusty bread, together with you've got yourself ane tasty together with hearty meal.  Enjoy!




Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup amongst Brie, Spinach & Artichokes
Source:  Adapted from Pine Cone together with Acorns Chicken Artichoke Brie Soup
(Printable recipe)
Ingredients
  • 3 T. butter
  • 1 c. chopped carrots {about ii carrots}
  • 1 c. chopped celery {about ii to 3 stalks}
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground white or dark pepper
  • 1 c. uncooked pocket-size pasta pocket-size pasta {I used mini farfalle - a.k.a. mini 'bowties'}
  • 2 c. whole milk
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 c. cooked chopped chicken (I used the white meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
  • additional 1 c. milk
  • 1 (10 oz.) parcel frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well-drained
  • 1 (9 oz.) parcel frozen artichokes, thawed
  • 4 ½ oz. Brie or Camembert cheese, some or all of the rind removed, together with cutting into chunks
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, onion, together with garlic; laid upward until tender, nearly 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add chicken broth, ½ teaspoon salt, together with 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; trim rut together with simmer, uncovered, for fifteen minutes.
  3. Increase rut to supply broth mixture to a tedious boil. Add pasta; trim rut to medium together with simmer until pasta is al dente, nearly 5-7 minutes.
  4. Combine ii cups milk together with flour inwards a large screw-top jar. Cover together with milk tremble good until smooth. Stir into soup. Increase rut dorsum to medium-high; laid upward together with stir until thickened together with bubbly, nearly 8 minutes. Reduce rut to medium.
  5. Stir inwards chicken, additional 1 loving cup milk, spinach, artichokes, together with brie. Cook together with stir over medium rut nearly five minutes to a greater extent than until the soup is heated through together with the brie is melted. Be careful non to permit the soup scorch.
  6. Give the soup a taste, together with add together common salt as needed. I constitute that an additional 1/2 teaspoon or thence of common salt added at the destination of the cooking fourth dimension actually brightened upward the flavors inwards this hearty soup.

Random thoughts:
- This soup is flavorful together with delicious both amongst together with without the Brie.
- Including the Brie's rind or cutting it off is a affair of personal flavor preference.
- I mean value this soup would travel as expert amongst or without the artichokes.  So, if you're non an artichoke fan, merely larn out them out.
- You could brand this amongst turkey, too.  Great to utilisation upward leftovers from a large ol' turkey!
- Make sure to sense of savor the soup at the destination of it's cooking together with add together some salt, if needed.  I constitute that a trivial sprinkling of common salt at the destination actually brightened upward the flavors.

Enjoy!